Friday, March 19, 2010

Hello Mrs. Kosh's Class!

Hello my Bradley Creek Dolphins!
First of all I miss you all very much! I wish that I could have brought you all with me! It is very beautiful here and very hot, Can you believe I already got a sun burn? If you look on the world map in the classroom can you seen where the equator is? We are much closer to the equator here then we are in Wilmington so the sun is a bit stronger! For my Spanish speakers you would especially love it here because of the food! Another thing that here that is going to take some getting used to is using money. The Belize currency is 2 to 1 American, which means that if you go into a store and buy something that is $2 Belize it is the same as $1 American. The people here will accept Belizean money or American so this is where is gets confusing! This is where your division and multiplication skills will come in handy. Try this math problem: If i have 20 American dollars how many is that in Belizean?
How about this one: I went to the fruit stand this morning and I bought $18 worth of fruit in Belizean, how much is that worth in American?
Now when it gets really confusing is when you have to make change, or when they give you change in American and Belizean money! I'm still getting used to it!
There are 12 of us Elementary education teachers here and 6 High School teachers. Since there were so many elementary teachers they had to split us up so there are two different elementary schools we will be working in. Miss Rebecca, Miss Hill, Miss Woodcock (she was the intern for Mrs. Holland's Kindergarten class),Miss Conn (from Mrs. Wallen's 5th grade) Myself and another intern from Forest Hills Elementary School are all going to be at Ambergris Elementary School. This is a very small school1 there are only 55 kids in the whole school! Can you believe that? The grades are set up a little different too. There is no kindergarten school starts at "Infant 1" which is like 1st grade, then "infant 2" which is like second grade. Then there is "Standard 1" which is like 3rd grade! and it goes on and on.
It is 10:30 here so that means it is 12:30 where you are! How much of a time change is that? How did you figure that out?
I will try and figure out how to post pictures on here so you can see some of the sights here! I miss you all and hope you are doing well! Keep up with me on here, it will be like I never left!

No comments:

Post a Comment