Thursday, March 18, 2010

My first full day in San Pedro!

Hello All!
Today is March 18th and our first day here in San Pedro, Belize! What an eventful day I've had! First of all let me tell you a little about what the trip here was like. I arrived at Wilmington Internationional Airport at around 4:30 AM and our flight left at 7. The flight to Belize City was not that long at all it was shorter then flying to Arizona. Once we arrive in Belize City we had to take a very small plane to the island. Now let me just say that this was one of the scariest moments of my life! I really thought i was going to die and the weather was not making things any better. It was cloudy, windy, and raining and because of that we didnt really have a good view, but there is always the ride back right? Oh boy! There was quite a bit of turbulance and Stephanie, Becca, and I of course were stuck in the very back so when we took of the plane was fish tailing and wobbling, needless to say i was freaking out big time! Just when we landed and I thought it was all over it turned out not to be our stop so we had to take off all over again and land again, except this time when we landed we landed on a gravel airstrip. Once on the ground i was able to gain consciousness once again and function. We then go in a cab and drove to Pedro's Inn. Upon arrival Peter the owner gave us all a complimentary Beleikin ( i dont know if that is spelt right) beer which is brewed here in Belize. What a great cultural experience! The room that I am staying in is very small, there are 2 twin beds, a small TV, and a small bathroom. We even have AC! Woo hoo! Im very excited about the whole AC thing, yes I know I am a typical American and I'm proud of it! Anyways yesterday was very exciting and I am still trying to get settled in and organized.
Today (March 18th) we took a tour of the town. We walked to the schools that we will be working in and we got to meet some of the teachers and students! I am very excited about this! We visited Ambergris Caye, Isla Bonita, and San Pedro High School. I was very impressed and curious which school i was going to be put in I have an idea about which one i want to teach at.

No comments:

Post a Comment