Thursday, April 29, 2010

Final thoughts before I go


Friday April 23rd was my last day at Ambergris Caye Elementary School and what a bittersweet day it was! For the past 2 weeks I have had my own Standard II class of 7 students Rochelle, A.J, Nathan, Faith, Diego, Brandon, & Kylie. Standard II is equivalent to third grade so it was a perfect match for me since I worked with Mrs. Kosh and her third graders at Bradley Creek Elementary in Wilmington. This day I tried the best I could to wrap up what we were working on but as always there just wasn't enough time to finish. During the day Dr. Renae came in to explain to the kids their new schedule that would take effect on Monday. She explained that the other teachers in the school would be alternating throughout the day to teach them. The saddest part was when Faith asked when they would be having art and PE, and Dr. Renae told them that there was not going to be time for that. Now in America this would never happen, the parents would be beating down the school doors demanding the art and PE class and most of all a full time teacher for their students, but Belize is a different world. The thing that surprised me most of all after these 6 weeks in Belize is that I would feel 150% confident in taking on my own classroom and I know that I would be successful. When I think about teaching in America I don't feel so confident. Why is that? I think it is because there is not so much pressure on the teachers there. Don't get me wrong it is still an enormous amount of work being a teacher in Belize, but there is so much freedom to be creative and come up with activities. This is due to the curriculum being so broad. While I was teaching Faith's mom came to the door with a huge three layer cake to thank me and the other interns for what we have done for the school and the kids. I was really touched my this and when it came time to leave I had a few hysterically crying children on my hands which in turn made me cry. The people that I have met in San Pedro have changed my out look on people, life, and the future. I am a changed person because of this experience. I feel so much more independent and confident as a teacher as well as a person. I am so thankful that I was given this opportunity, the people that made this possible, and all the people that I got to know while I was there. It is so amazing to be able to look back at the first day with my kids and see the progress that was made in just 2 short weeks. The children there have never experienced hands on activities like that and it was very difficult for me to leave when I could clearly see all the progress that was made. Now whats next? Teach abroad, teach in America. Where do I fit now? I'll keep you posted! As for now I plan to go back to San Pedro at least for a visit. Miss you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment