Saturday, April 10, 2010

I have been Americanized!!!


Today I participated in a life changing experience; I hiked through a cave that the ancient Mayans used for religious and sacrificial ceremonies. I saw and learned about some of the most amazing sights that I have ever seen. We took a tour that lasted about three hours, during those three hours we hiked and crawled through the cave. We saw stalagmite and stalactite formations that grew up to what seemed like 50 feet. I saw huge calcium deposits also know as cave diamonds which were absolutely breathtaking. After hiking through the cave for about 2 hours we reached a dry chamber that we had to climb up to get to. Inside the chamber there were hundreds of pieces of ancient Mayan pottery. Most of the pottery was broken but a few were in pretty good condition. We also saw four skeletons! As we walked throughout the chamber and the cave, we learned about the history and rituals of the Mayans and what exactly when on in the caves and why those skeletons were there.
Growing up I spent two weeks if my summer at my grandparent’s house in Orlando, Florida. I have always been so thankful that I had the opportunity to spend that time with my grandparents and my cousins. I will never forget those times nor will I forget the time I spent at Disney World. Since my grandparents lived about 5 minutes from Disney we would buy an annual pass and go to one of the parks almost every day during the time that we were there. So at the age of seven I knew all of the parks like the back of my hand. I knew where every ride was, every short cut, most all of the rides inside and out, you name it. It wasn’t until this caving experience that I realize what an impact growing up in America has really had on my outlook on certain things. The whole time I was in the cave I felt like I was in Disney world on a ride of some sort. I kept waiting for a coaster to show up and take us somewhere or some type of special effects. Although I knew that this wasn’t going to really happen, the thought still kept popping in my head. It then it occurred to me that I have definitely been Americanized. I mean even down to the smell of the cave it reminded me of being on a ride at Epcot. The things that I saw and experience in the cave was unlike anything I have ever done or seen in my life so I guess I was just relating it to the closest thing I knew, but it makes me wonder how would I interpret that experience if I wasn’t Americanized?

No comments:

Post a Comment