Wednesday, April 14, 2010

That is your privilege.


Being Americans we have many privileges and opportunities that are offered to us citizens. Many Americans tend to take their privileges for granted and look at them as if they are not privileges but rights that are expected. I am very proud to be an American and I always thought that I was pretty aware of how lucky I was for all the opportunities I have had. Now after spending this time in Belize and in the schools here I can really see clearly just how fortunate I really was and am. So what are our privileges as Americans? How can you tell the difference between rights and privileges? Well if you can’t figure it out I suggest visiting a foreign country.
You wouldn’t think that something as simple as running water is a privilege but indeed it is. Here in San Pedro we have had to live without running water for about three days and when it did start running again it smelled of bleach. Imagine no shower, you can’t do your laundry, or even brush your teeth. After a few days you start to feel really dirty and become irritable. The same thing goes for electricity. Being at school and losing electricity can be quite challenging especially when it is about 90 degrees outside. Air conditioning is a major privilege! What about the schooling system? American students have computer labs, art classes, music, physical education, clubs, etc. In third world countries the funding for those classes does not exist. So how do we make others realize and appreciate their privileges? Personally being here in Belize has made me so much more appreciative for what I have. Not everyone can travel to a foreign country but as an educator I plan to share my experiences with my students and do whatever I can do to show them how children just like them live in other parts of the world. I want my students to be aware that there is a world outside their community and that just because these other people don’t have all the things that they have does not mean that they are unhappy.

No comments:

Post a Comment