Monday, April 19, 2010

My final weekend in Belize


Well Belize it or not we are down to the final week of our time here in San Pedro. I have mixed feelings about going home. On one hand I want to go home and see the family and friends that I have missed so much over the past five and a half weeks. On the other hand I want to stay here and continue teaching. I have been full time teaching since last week. The teacher that I was working with just stopped coming to school, so I have had full responsibilities. From the short time that I have been teaching here I have noticed such a positive reaction from the kids. The kids usually just take notes and complete workbook pages. Now that I have introduced a more hands on approach, I have not only caught their attention but I have made learning fun and east for them. I am teaching a unit on capacity which included making a gallon man and learning about the big G. After 2 days of learning about customary capacity I gave them a quiz and the lowest grade was a 90%. I was so happy about this! Since my class consist of only seven students it is a little easier to keep everyone on task. This was such a rewarding experience to see that the students were actually enjoying what they were learning and having fun with it. It makes me want to stay here longer. I feel that there is so much more that I can show and teach the teachers and students here if only there was more time.
This weekend Becca and I rented bikes and rode to the northern part of the island and visited Akbol Yoga resort. We ate breakfast and just checked out the scenery. it was absolutely beautiful! One of the workers named Stephen showed us around the resort and let us see inside the cabanas. The faucets were made of a conch shell and the showers were outside. Although we didn't get to do yoga out on the dock lover looking the aqua waters we still had an amazing time and got a lot of exercise in. Sunday started bright and early, we had to rent snorkel equipment at Ramon's and catch the catamaran at the end of the Ramon's dock. Our first stop was at Hol Chan, which is one of the best snorkeling spots in the world and it was breath taking. The reef was so much bigger then the reef I saw the first time I went snorkeling, There were caves and 30 foot drops filled with some of the most colorful fish i have ever seen. I even got to pet a huge black grouper that was about the size of one of my arms length. The second stop was Shark Ray Alley which was not far from the first stop. Here we got to swim with nurse sharks and sting rays. This was a little nerve racking but it was unlike any experience I have ever had especially when I got to pet the sting rays. Our last stop was Caye Caulker and island south of San Pedro. This Island was much smaller but cheaper. The island has a huge split in it from a hurricane back in the 60's. A lot of the locals swim in the split and there is a little restaurant bar right next to it. After spending about two hours on Caye Caulker we set sail back to San Pedro on our catamaran. It was about a hour ride back to our island. Once we returned to Pedro's we were all pretty tired after the long day. It was an unforgettable experience that I got to share with some really amazing people and I am so grateful for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment